Bakersfield Alimony Attorneys
Helping You Pursue an Equitable Judgement
Spousal support disputes can be difficult to navigate. Whether you're requesting alimony or find yourself acting as a prospective payor, you may be concerned that your spousal support arrangement won't be equitable or meet your needs.
Our Bakersfield spousal support lawyers will help you find the best path forward in your spousal support case, working with you to ensure your rights and interests remain protected.
How Does Spousal Support Work in CA?
In California, a party can request spousal support as part of a divorce, legal separation, annulment, or domestic violence case.
There are four types of spousal support arrangements an individual in California can pursue:
- Temporary support. Temporary spousal support helps support a party during an ongoing legal dispute, such as a divorce or domestic violence case. Once the case resolves, the support order is discontinued.
- Rehabilitative support. If a party needs time to obtain professional training and re-enter the workforce, they can obtain rehabilitative support. Once that party achieves financial independence, the order may be discontinued.
- Permanent support. If a party cannot support themselves due to a factor such as their health or age, they may be eligible to receive spousal support indefinitely.
- Reimbursement support. If one party contributed to the other's education or professional advancement during the marriage, the party that benefited may need to repay the other individual for that assistance.
Courts consider the following factors during spousal support cases:
- The length of the marriage or domestic partnership;
- The quality of life established for each party during that time;
- The age and health of both parties;
- The property each party possesses;
- The roles each party played during their relationship;
- Whether any other factors (such as a child custody or support order) are involved in the case;
- Whether either spouse contributed to the other's education or career;
- How spousal support would impact the payor's finances;
- How spousal support would impact taxes for each party.
The number of factors that play into a spousal support case can make it hard to know how much support you should request or pay for. At Alternative Divorce Solutions, our Bakersfield spousal support attorneys are here to help you navigate your case.
“Thank you for all your knowledge, conscientiousness, and kindness.”- Beverly
“First and foremost, I found that I had a lot to learn about the divorce mediation process. I did not exactly know what the role of the mediator was or if we would still have to go to Court.”- Donald B.
“I was so stressed out before I went to ADS. Once I got there Lani sat with me and my husband and explained the whole mediation process. After I left I knew exactly what to expect and ADS lived up to my expectations.”- Giz S.