Divorce is one of the most devastating things to happen to a family, which is why so many parents are concerned about how to best protect their children from this difficult transition. The idea of divorce can be quite shocking to your children, even if they are old enough to understand it may be what’s best for the entire family.
While divorces take some time to fully accept and move on from, it is important you and your ex-spouse agree to follow certain practices in order to make this entire process as easy as possible for your children. Following these widely accepted dos and don’ts will not only help your children, but it will help you and your ex move on in a mature and amicable manner.
The following are the dos and don’ts of parenting and divorce:
- Be honest – Lying to your children about a possible chance of reconciliation will give them false hope and only drag on the entire situation. Your children deserve the truth about how their lives are going to change, even if the truth isn’t all that pleasant.
- Don’t argue in front of your children – This transition is difficult enough. The last thing to do is show your children what hostility between their two parents looks like--it won’t be easy for them to forget.
- Don’t put your children in the middle – Finding out about your ex-spouse’s new house or relationship through your children will make them resent both of you for putting them in such an awkward situation in the first place. Gathering information about your ex should never be done through your children as it will only make things uncomfortable for everyone.
- Don’t be pushy – Your children are going to be resistant to change. Whether you are moving to a new house, taking them to a new school, or introducing them to a new partner, it is important you allow your children to adjust to everything on their own terms.
- Remind them of your love – Oftentimes, children believe they are the cause of the divorce because they didn’t behave well, caused arguments, or put stress on their mom and dad. You and your ex-spouse need to make sure your children are constantly reassured and reminded they are loved.
Contact Our Orange County Divorce Mediation Lawyers Today
At Alternative Divorce Solutions, we are dedicated to helping families move forward from divorce as seamlessly as possible. No matter how contentious you and your ex-spouse’s relationship was, your divorce doesn’t have to be a brutal battle. Our Orange County divorce mediation lawyers are experienced in family law and have the compassion to help you and your family move forward in a way that is beneficial for all involved, putting your children first and foremost. We are a results-driven law firm with the resources, education, and energy to resolve your divorce in a positive and timely manner.
Don’t hesitate to contact us at your earliest convenience by calling (949) 558-2624.